If your microwave smells bad, it’s probably because you’re not cleaning it often enough. Food particles and grease can accumulate over time and cause an unpleasant odor. To get rid of the smell, you will need to clean the microwave oven thoroughly.
What causes a microwave oven smell?
Two main things can cause your microwave to smell bad: food particles that get trapped and spread bacteria, and burnt grease and food. Both can be remedied with regular cleaning.
You can get rid of the smell from the microwave by:
– Washing the microwave oven: wash the inside of the microwave oven with hot soapy water so that you get into all the nooks and crannies. Rinse well and dry with a clean cloth.
– Cleaning the door seal: Use a toothbrush or soft-bristled brush to clean the rubber seal around the door. Remove any food or grease build-up.
– Cleaning the turntable: Remove it (if possible) and wash it in hot soapy water. Rinse well and dry before placing back in the microwave.
How to get rid of microwave odors
If you’ve ever had the misfortune of microwaving fish or some other smelly food, you know how difficult it can be to get rid of that stench. If your microwave is smelly, here are some quick and easy ways to clean it.
First, start with the simplest solution: stick a container with vinegar and run the microwave for a few minutes. Vinegar will help neutralize odors.
If that doesn’t work, or if you want something heavier, mix equal parts water and lemon juice in a bowl, then heat in the microwave for three minutes. The sour lemon juice will help cut through the grease and grime that could be causing the unpleasant odor.
Finally, if all else fails, you can always remove the turntable (if your microwave has one) and wash it in the sink with hot soapy water. Depending on the smell, you may also need to clean the inside of the microwave with soapy water. Just be sure to unplug it first!
Tips to Prevent Microwave Smells
Here are some tips to help prevent or eliminate microwave odors:
– Wipe up spills immediately.
-Prefer to use a glass or ceramic container rather than a plastic one.
– Cover the food while cooking.
– Add a splash of vinegar to the water when cooking smelly foods such as fish.
-Sprink baking soda on a damp sponge and wipe the microwave inside.
-Use a microwave air freshener.
If your microwave has been smelling a bit lately, it might be time to clean it. This is especially true if you notice that the smell is coming from inside the microwave and not just from the outside. Here are some tips to help you get rid of that bad microwave smell:
– Wipe the inside of the microwave oven with a water-based vinegar solution. It will help remove any food or grease particles that could be causing the smell.
– Clean the door seals and the seal with a damp cloth. These areas can sometimes develop mold or mildew, which can cause an unpleasant odor.
– Place a bowl of vinegar or baking soda in the microwave and heat it on high for 5 minutes. It will help absorb any odors lingering in the air.
– After cleaning the inside of the microwave, be sure to wipe the outside. It will help remove any build-up that could be holding odors inside.
-How often should I clean my microwave?
It is best to clean the microwave when you notice that the inside is a little dirty. Depending on how often you use it, this can be anywhere from once a week to once a month.
– My microwave smells bad even after I clean it. What could be the problem?
If your microwave still smells after cleaning, the problem may be the food you are heating. If you are reheating food with a strong smell, try covering it with a paper towel or plate while cooking to prevent the smell. You can also try heating a bowl of water with lemon slices in the microwave for a few minutes to neutralize odors.
-I accidentally burned food in the microwave. How do I get rid of the burning smell?
If you have burnt food in your microwave, start by turning off the appliance and letting it cool for at least 30 minutes. After it has cooled, remove the charred food from inside the microwave and wipe all surfaces with a damp cloth. If the burning smell persists, mix equal parts vinegar and water in a bowl and place it in the microwave. Turn the machine on and let it run for 5-10 minutes before wiping it down again and repeating as needed until the smell is gone.